[mythtv-users] Anybody considered capturing audio and video separately?

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 18:23:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> Right now, the only solution for capturing 1080i content from a
> satellite dish receiver while also preserving the 5.1 audio seems to be
> the HD-PVR. Given the cost and the serious possibility for lost
> recordings, I don't consider this a viable solution.
>
> In looking around on the interwebs, I discovered a number of products
> that can capture component video over USB. Some of them will even do
> compression on the fly. The problem is that, with the exception of the
> HD-PVR (and Colossus, for which there is no Linux driver), all of the
> other devices capture the audio in stereo only.
>
> This got me to thinking: Isn't it possible to use the digital input of a
> modern sound card for audio capture, while using a USB dongle for video?
> Then, it would be a simple (is it?) matter of combining the two and
> making sure they sync up. Has anyone tried this?

well first of all remember that the packaging of the media file
includes both the audio and the video muxed together, recording them
separately would require manually muxing the stream after.
Additionally the sync issue is not trivial.  The HD-PVR is not that
expensive, and  these days, especially with trunk, lost recordings are
a rarity