[mythtv-users] Best all around analog and clear QAM tuner

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Aug 3 18:22:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 13:17:35 -0400, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net>
wrote:
> It comes up as "v4l analog", which you have to change to "ivtv mpeg2".
> At that point it fails to probe, so you just put "/dev/videoX" (X=0
> or 1 for me) into the device field, and suddenly it shows "cx18" and
> everything is all right.

I think you're giving too much credit to the complexity of that screen.
The card doesn't come up as 'V4L Analog', that is simply the first card
type chosen when you enter the card creation screen.  That card type will
enumerate all devices by looking for nodes with filenames /dev/video<n> or
/dev/v4l/video<n>.  There is no check whether the device is actually usable
as a framegrabber.  The 'IVTV MPEG2' type does a similar enumeration of
filenames, and then it applies several filters for cards known to be MPEG
encoders.  If it doesn't show up automatically, the code simply hasn't been
updated to know to allow it.