[mythtv-users] is (clearqam) channel scanning idempotent?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Aug 3 11:11:13 UTC 2011

I'm using 0.24-fixes.

There seem to have been enough clearqam channel changes with my provider
since my last scan that I probably need to do another scan.  But I
remember how much effort that was the last time around -- doing all of
the scanning, attaching station names to channels, setting xmlids, etc.
 It probably took the best part of at least an afternoon if not a day to
do it all.

As such I am reluctant to do another scan for fear of losing all of that
association work I did for the stations that have not changed since I
did it.  Or losing that information altogether for stations which have
not changed if (me or) the scanning screws up and fails to find stations
that are actually still there and when myth thinks they are not there
deletes them from the database.

So, assuming the channel scanning goes well, will the channel name and
xmltvid associations for channel-progid stations remain the same or will
they all be reset?

What does happen to the information for channel-progid stations that
have been [re-]moved?  In most cases this is usually just a moving of a
progid from one channel to another, so the station name and xmltvid are
still valid and all that needs changing is the channel they are on.
Will all of that association disappear, requiring me to re-establish it
from scratch on it's new channels?

Surely there has to be some easier way to manage all of this (all too
frequent) clearqam channel re-mapping other than this laborious process
of [re-]scanning and manual channel-by-channel editing.

Cheers,
b.