[mythtv-users] MythTV + Time Warner + ??

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 23:19:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

I live in Kansas City and enjoy the ****ty service of Time Warner cable
(I don't subscribe to any HBO, Starz, etc. type premium channels).  I've
recently updated my TV to HD and have completed a new HD capable
MiniMyth client.  Now it's time for adding HD capture to the BackEnd.

My googling/reading/sorting/... makes me think I have two primary
options to deal with TW using a CCI flag of 02 on just about everything.
  (1) Use an Hauppauge HD-PVR (model 1212) and connect via component
cables to the TV and via USB to the BE.  This will let me record in
1080i to the BE and playback at my leisure.
(2) Use an Hauppauge USB CableCard tuner (model WinTV-DCR-2650), with a
CableCard from TW, connected via USB to the BE.  This will let me record
in 1080p to the BE and playback at my leisure.
Both of these have SiliconDust alternatives which connect via a LAN to
the BE.

Do I have this right?  There's a TON info on the net about this, and
alot of it appears to be wrong (well at least alot of it disagrees with
another "alot" of it); so I am not yet confident enough to put my money
down.

Thanks for any help/corrections/confirmations!

Joe Henley