[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend doesn't update database to new schema

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 2 15:20:25 UTC 2011

On 08/02/2011 11:07 AM, James Pifer wrote:
> Hi Mike. I have a new issue which I think is related to the database. If
> not I can create a new thread. I installed a new mythfrontend on
> opensuse 11.3 so versions are the same as my backend. I've also enabled
> mysql access for mythtv user and tested using mysql client. When I start
> mythfrontend I get this. Any suggestions?
>
> I googled and found a suggestion of dropping the database again, etc.
> I'd rather not now that the backend is working, and the frontend is
> working from the backend machine.
> 2011-08-02 11:03:53.342 Upgrading to MythTV schema version 1226
> 2011-08-02 11:03:53.343 DB Error (Performing database upgrade):
> Query was: ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;
> Error was: Driver error was [2/1044]:
> QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0' to database 'mythconverg'
>
> new version: 1226

This likely means that the user mythtv at 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 does
not have proper permissions granted.  Specifically, this operation
requires the ALTER privilege, but you need to GRANT ALL for the mythtv
user(s) to handle operations needed by other parts of MythTV.  See
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#modify_perm_mysql .  And
note that depending on how your distro does things, you may need to use
a different password (the 'identified by "mythtv"' part), and it seems
some distros have broken MySQL somehow such that the grants don't work
properly, and you have to follow the given lines with a SET PASSWORD...
Something like:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' = PASSWORD('mythtv');

Note, also, you really want to have only one entry per host.  So, you
may want to check your mysql.user table to verify that you're not
"shadowing" existing entries.

Mike