[mythtv-users] Setting up a replacement Myth server

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:10:12 UTC 2011

  However, if there's anything different
> about the tuners ability to receive certain channels or how they go
> about tuning the channel (i.e. going from a PVR-150 using internal tuner
> to using a PVR-150 using S-Video output with a channel change script
> that changes channel on an STB), you will want to "Delete all Video
> Sources" and re-create the source and re-scan for channels.

Which can be a bit of a catch.

Recreating sources and scanning for channels isn't trivial if you
haven't done it before.

My "production" system only has one video source.  I now have another
combined BE/FE lined up to replace it, which has different capture
card types and multiple sources.  This adds some complexity to the
channel configuration.

Without much time to dedicate to the upgrade it's taken me a month or
so to get to the point where I'm ready to go, during which time the
original backup of my production database is out of date, and I have a
dozen or so recordings on the new system that would be orphaned if I
take a more recent backup.  I'm not particularly bothered by this as I
can think of a couple of ways to keep things tidy.

I'm more concerned about what by new system is making of the existing
recording rules from my production system.  On the new system I've
given the HD channels a higher priority than the SD ones, and used
"any channel" in the recording rule.  On my existing system most of
the rules specified "on this channel".  What will the scheduler do
with these rules, bearing in mind that the channid's will likely be
different?  I need to do a bit more investigation here.

To be honest I'd be quite happy to lose all my recording rules and
just keep the "previously recorded" data (to prevent recording every
Simpsons episode again) but that would be a partial upgrade, and I'm
loathe to go down that route.