[mythtv-users] Building a database of cablecard encryption (CCI) details

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:52:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> That's odd. I've only seen a copy protection other than CCI one time, and it
> was only when I didn't have my cablecard install (running in QAM mode). One
> of the channels that comes up as Copy Control Information: "Copy Free" (00)
> with a cablecard comes up as Redistribution Control: "One Copy" (0x02) in
> QAM mode. But I'm fairly certain that doesn't stop you from recording it. I
> think it's just reporting what protection is present, but I believe the
> Ceton will only enforce the CCI protections. Have you attempted to record
> something on it?

I added my lineup last night.  All of my ClearQAM channels came up
Unknown / None, but not all of the reported Unknown / None channels
are available in ClearQAM.

I have CCI info for almost every other channel, but I certainly do not
subscribe to all of them.  If I am reading this right, then having a
CCI of 0x00 on the HD versions of basic cable channels (USA, TNT, etc)
means if I upgrade to there "HD" service, then these channels *should*
work properly with MythTV.

- Patrick