[mythtv-users] Mythbackend on VMware Server with DVB-tuners

david robinson drk.lord99 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 30 18:24:58 UTC 2011

Thought it useful to share my experience also with a virtual mythtv. I have
running the free version of VMware ESXi with two Hauppauge Nova T-500 cards
passed through to the guest operating system. The guest is running Opensuse
11.4 with the latest packaged release of mythtv installed.

It took a while to match all the hardware but it was worth it in the end. I
now have a super system which runs solidly. I have attached to my network a
QNap 509 network storage device and have an iSCSI node attached to my vmware
esxi server. This allows me to write all tv recordings across my network and
essentially make the server a diskless system.

The benefits to this allow me to upgrade mythtv onto a new os or new version
without affecting my working installation. I build the new one in the
background and then switch over when ready. It also allows me to run lots of
other virtual servers in my network. The only thing I would say about
virtualisation, products such as VMware Server run ontop of windows so come
with additional over head, as would virtual box. ESXi and Xen are very good
low level operating systems without the overhead and sit much closer to the
hardware.

regards,