[mythtv-users] SBE's mythjobqueue preventing MBE idleness

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 28 20:50:45 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 09:57 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Per another thread, I have stopped the mythbackend process on my
> tuner-less SBE (it's only supposed to lend it's CPU cycles to
> commflagging) since it's an unsupported configuration and instead
> started mythjobqueue (with -v most for interest's sake).
>
> The problem is that it seems to be keeping the MBE from going into
> idle-shutdown (i.e. suspend) mode.  Since starting mythjobqueue my
> backend has not gone into idle mode yet within less than a second of
> stopping mythjobqueue it started it's idle processing:
>
> On the SBE:
>
> 2011-04-28 09:51:14.975 JobQueue: GetJobsInQueue: Ignore 'Flag
> Commercials' Job for chanid 1045 @ 20110428073000 in Finished state.
> ^C
>
> On the MBE:
>
> 2011-04-28 09:51:41.316 I'm idle now... shutdown will occur in 300 seconds.
>
> Yes, the MBE's timestamp is .6 of a second earlier than the SBE.  Well
> within the margin of error for this network AFAIC.
>
> Is this a known limitation of mythjobqueue?

 From my perspective, it is now a known limitation of
mythjobqueue--before it was just a limitation of mythjobqueue.  Thanks
for noticing.  This is something that needs reworking before 0.25.

In the meantime, we might be able to do some workarounds.  The one I
think is probably the best/safest is to write a script that can be
called on a loop (either the script that starts (and backgrounds)
mythjobqueue, or in a cron job or whatever), and checks to see if the
jobqueue host is currently processing any jobs (and/or whether any jobs
are left to process).  If not, it can kill the mythjobqueue process--and
could also shut down the job queue host, if you want.

The best way to check would be to use the Python bindings' Job class to
get the status and hostname attributes.  If the status is Job.RUNNING
and the hostname is the mythjobqueue (current) hostname, then it's not
safe to kill mythjobqueue/shut down the job queue host.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/0.24_Python_Bindings

If no one else does it before, I'll try to get a chance to look into
this over the weekend.

Mike