[mythtv-users] Multiple Data Direct lineups not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 28 03:12:30 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 07:47 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 12:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 04/27/2011 01:02 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
>>> I have 3 capture cards:
>>> HVR-1600 ATSC connected directly to Comcast cable
>>> HVR-1600 MPEG connected to Comcast SDTV settop box (Pace DC50X)
>>> Firewire connection to Comcast HDTV settop box (Motorola DCH3200)
>> So you need to have 3 MythTV Video Sources.
> Yes, thanks. I'm calling mine Comcast cable, HDTV settop box, and SDTV
> settop box, and I can see them all now.
>>> So my first question is, how do I get "Fetch channels from listing source" working again?
>> "Fetch channels from listings source" only works on Video Sources where it's expected to work /properly/.  It has never worked for any Video Source connected to DVB/ATSC/QAM type cards--those cards /require/ channel scans to get the necessary information about the channels.  It will not work for Firewire-connected Video Sources, since those are treated as digital capture.
> Actually, I just tried "Fetch channels from listings source" with my
> Firewire Video Source, and it worked fine. In fact, that's how I first
> set up the Firewire-connected HDTV box when I got it about 6 months ago
> and it's been working perfectly ever since.
>
>>     It will work for any Video Source connected to an analog capture card, but only if the
> Did you mean to add something here?

Yes, but not sure what--got interrupted by work while replying.

Anyway, short story is MythTV lets you use Fetch channels for analog
sources, not for digital (though it may now properly distinguish between
scannable digital--ATSC/QAM--and non-scannable digital--Firewire).

You can override this restriction when appropriate (i.e. as for
Firewire) as I described.  Whether it let you or you overrode it's
restriction, Fetch channels is the right approach for Firewire (as well
as analog encoders).  You should only scan for channels on your digital
source (QAM source with cable connected directly to HVR-1600).

>>> Also, it seems like a lot of work to edit my SD lineups each time Comcast changes its lineup. Is it really that disadvantageous to have multiple lineups on Schedules Direct?
>> Not sure what you mean here.
> I was referring to what the first paragraph of the mythTV HOWTO guide
> says about avoiding "multiple downloads."
> <http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.2>  I presume it
> meant that if you have multiple lineups, that would result in multiple
> downloads. Is that true?

It just means MythTV's use of Schedules Direct data is not as
inefficient as it used to be.  Or, put another way, don't use MythTV
0.20.1 or below.

Mike