[mythtv-users] iPad Remote Control - Developers Wanted

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Wed Apr 27 22:53:36 UTC 2011

First off, thanks everyone for the input. I spent some time investigating
all the platforms mentioned. In the end, I decided to write this as a WebApp
that can run via PHP and Javascript. I've made this decision for a couple of
reason:

1) It will allow for integration directly into MythWeb once I figure out the
structure there.
2) It will give me the ability to support on-the-fly transcoding through an
HTML5 player for display of video on the iPad.
3) It will be more portable to other devices.

I've already got a large portion of the front end done, including themed,
elastic, scrolling lists, and the ajax code is up and running for acquiring
data without reloading, making it more application-like. I'll probably
release it once I get the first usable features out, which include: frontend
selection, recorded programs selection and frontend playback, MythVideo
cover browser with frontend playback, controls, and settings such as
background and theme color.

I'll post it here first, and I'd love feedback on it, especially the
user-centric items such as placement of controls, etc. I've tried to lay
things out so that if you're holding the iPad with both hands, then certain
functions will be available with your thumbs.

Also, I'll throw together a basic iPad application that is a full-screen
browser with a settings window for the URL. It's not the best scenario from
an installation standpoint, but considering the MythTV audience, it
shouldn't be a big setback.

Thanks,
Ben