[mythtv-users] pixelation when using nfs for playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 27 16:23:33 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 11:28 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> Gotcha. Let me re-ask the question then with better background information.
>
> I'm running 0.24-fixes from the Mythbuntu auto-builds repository.
> I have a master backend with all my recording drives (6, via storage
> groups). I have a remote frontend/backend with a single cable box
> connected via firewire. This box thus has the recording drives NFS
> mounted so it can write to them.
>
> I also have a frontend in my bedroom which I had mounted them for some
> reason as I was playing around with something.
>
> At some point, perhaps a week or two ago I started to notice heavy
> pixelation on playback, especially of things currently recording. A
> while ago there used to be a setting to always playback via the myth
> protocol's streaming and not via the locally mounted drives. I had it
> check marked. Since this pixelation has started occurring I noticed
> that I no longer see this option. Easy enough on my frontend-only
> systems, I just don't mount the drives locally. But for the combined
> system this is an issue as I don't have that option anymore.
>
> So as you can see, I need to figure out how to mount the drives to the
> combined FE/BE without incurring the pixelation issue. I tried CIFS
> but that seems to be even slower than NFS and has much more pixelation
> issues.
>
> If I could still enable the method where it will always stream for
> playback that would probably solve the issue.

If that setting was enabled before on the remote frontend/backend, it
still is enabled.

On new frontends it's disabled (so if you set up your remote
frontend/backend system since the setting was removed, it's disabled).

Eventually, we plan to have code to just do the right thing.  In the
interim, the recommendation is for frontends that want to use the MythTV
protocol to not mount remote recording drives using NFS or to mount them
at a different location from the one defined by the recording hosts'
Storage Group directory lists.

Mike