[mythtv-users] Analog side of HVR-1600 works in mplayer but not in mythTV

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 01:23:26 UTC 2011

I bought an HVR-1600 card some years ago and I really like its remote
control. But I had trouble using it in MythDora 12.23, so I bought an
HDHomeRun, which, as it turns out, works great with the HVR-1600 remote
control. Now I want to use the analog side of the HVR-1600 to record
from a Comcast Pace DC-50X cable box. If I can do that, then I can use
all the functions of the HVR-1600 and I won't need the HDHomeRun any more.

Thinking that perhaps my past trouble with the analog side of the
HVR-1600 was because of an old kernel or old version of mythTV, I
decided to install Fedora 14 and mythTV 0.24-7 on a spare computer. I
installed Fedora 14 and mythTV using these instructions
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora>, except that I
used Fedora's Add/Remove Programs (Package Manager) GUI with the
RPMFusion free and non-free depositories instead of the command line
wherever possible (which makes it a much simpler procedure).

I started out using a PVR-150 IVTV capture card and found that it worked
fine with mythTV. I then replaced the PVR-150 with an HVR-1600. On
bootup Fedora prompted me to install the cx-18 firmware, which I did. In
mythtv-setup, I deleted the PVR-150 and added the HVR-1600 (as an MJPEG
capture card on /dev/video0), but I get no TV in mythTV. Strange thing
is, the HVR-1600 works OK with mplayer /dev/video0.

According to the MythTV Wiki, mythTV supports the HVR-1600. Shouldn't it
just work?

Another idea is to plug the HVR-1600's IR receiver/blaster cable into
the PVR-150, but the PVR I have came without a cable or documentation,
so I know very little about it. Would the PVR-150 work with the HVR-1600
cable and remote control?

Bob Shanteau