[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Apr 25 19:18:06 UTC 2011

On 11-04-25 01:28 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> I'm considering producing a nice little USB dongle to power on/off the HD-PVR in
> the times that it decides to misbehave for whatever reason.

I use the Sparkfun FTDI breakout boards for stuff like this around here.
They basically are a simple way to get up to 12 GPIO lines at the end of
a serial cable, with fairly easy programming under Linux.

I've got one of them controlling the antenna switching matrix,
another controlling three relays that switch things on/off as needed,
one acting as a universal IR receiver for use with LIRC,
another running a 2x20 LCD text display, etc..

Handy little suckers.  $15 + shipping, but to fire a relay you'll have
to add the relay, a transistor, diode, and capacitor.

Or alternatively just couple a single ULN2003A chip to it
and use that as a solid-state relay for up to 3 amps DC.

Lots of ways to do this.

Cheers