[mythtv-users] RAID: full disk or partition (was: Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID)

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:08:47 UTC 2011

Hi

On 25 April 2011 12:36, Alex Halovanic <halovanic at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Partition_Types
>
> This gave a few arguments for using partitions (while also conceding that
> the author of the RAID tool uses full disks, so clearly it's OK).  The
> biggest one that stood out to me was that replacement disks could end up
> being slightly smaller due to manufacturer or model variance, and of course,
> nobody advertises the exact size.  RAID requires a replacement disk to be at
> least as large as the failed disk to rebuild the array.
>
> When I set up my RAID 5 array, I went with slightly undersized partitions
> and "wasted" a bit of the free space.  Knowing I can throw in any 2TB disk I
> can find off the shelf to replace a dead disk was worth both the extra GB or
> two and the hassle of setting up partitions to me.
Thanks for the link.

Finally a clear and definitive answer.

I added the two new disks as a full size partition. While they are now
all 2TB disks, the array still uses 1.5TB disk size. So when I extend
the size of the array, I will use the smallest of all disks. There are
5 disks, the likelihood of getting another smaller disk as a
replacement will be lower ; plus by the time I need replacing 3TB will
be common and cheap :)

JY