[mythtv-users] RAID: full disk or partition (was: Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID)

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Apr 24 07:47:21 UTC 2011

    > Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:38:13 +1000
    > From: Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>

    > Hi

    > On 24 April 2011 16:49,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

    > > The other advantage of using partitions is that it lets other tools
    > > know what's going on, which makes it less likely that a confused tool
    > > or a confused user will nuke a disk that's part of your RAID.

    > Yes, I had wondered about this but the likelihood of me running an
    > unknown tools on the disks of my PC is close to nil...

I was more concerned about, say, an OS -installer- becoming confused
and stepping on a disk, perhaps by trying to write an MBR.  I've seen
similar issues before.

I seriously doubt there can be any speed difference at all.
Whether or not a partition is there is just a matter of where
the offset for the data area starts.

And I'm a big believer in reducing my own cognitive load and
chances for screwups when it comes to manipulating disks.
There's always a first time for a big oops. :)