[mythtv-users] XBMC Mythtv Frontend Plugin

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 22:12:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Alan Young <ayoung at teleport.com> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Alan Young <ayoung at teleport.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've found a way to go back and forth between the two.  It's not
>>> complete integration, but it
>>> works well enough for me.  You'll need to modify your theme's menu to do it.
>>>
>>> In the main menu xml file, I've added
>>>
>>>    <button>
>>>        <type>XBMC</type>
>>>        <text>XBMC</text>
>>>        <action>EXEC /usr/local/bin/xbmc_from_myth</action>
>>>    </button>
>>>

>>> And in /usr/local/bin, I put the script called xbmc_from_myth:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
>>> /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -fs
>>>

>> I am not sure why you do all that extra stuff, so please feel free to
>> educate me :)
>>

> Urm... cause a post on a website told me to. :)

Ahh excellent excuse!!

>> I launch mine like this:
>>
>> <button>
>>            <type>XBMC</type>
>>            <text>XBMC</text>
>>            <description>Launch XBMC</description>
>>             <action>EXEC /usr/bin/xbmc</action>
>> </button>
>>

> Thanks, I'll try that out.
>
> Looking at the differences, I think what I found was to launch it as
> part of .xinitrc rather than a child of mythfrontend.  I think you are
> right and it's not needed.

The simpler way certainly works for me, BTW I include it in the media
library menu (right below "watch recordings") as that seemed logical
to me. It launches XBMC full screen, as thats how it is set to
operate. when XBMC exits I am returned to the myth menu.

One thing, it sometimes takes an age to exit XBMC, I am not sure what
is up with that, but it isn't too much of a concern.