[mythtv-users] Lirc confusion

Gary gwgrover at windstream.net
Mon Apr 18 21:09:33 UTC 2011

Linux info from <command: uname --all> is: Linux debian 2.6.32-5-amd64
#1 SMP

Command used to show my Mythtv status was <gary at debian:~$ mythbackend
--version>

    MythTV Version   : 0.23.1
    MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-23-1
    Network Protocol : 23056
    Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
    QT Version       : 4.6.3
    Options compiled in:
      linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack
    using_pulseoutput using_backend using_directfb using_dvb
    using_firewire using_fribidi using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb
    using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
    using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg
    using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
    using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
    using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
    using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg

It looks like Lirc was included when mythtv was installed.
Last 3 evenings spent searching for guidance in setting up lirc
But most of it was "Greek" to me.

What I want to do is be able to change channels of a satellite set top
box from the pc keyboard - (want to try controlling the stb using the
usb port)

What needs to be installed (or configured) to get lirc working?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Gary