[mythtv-users] channel scan wiped user configured channel numbers

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 20:05:17 UTC 2011

At 20:07 +0100 18/4/11, Tim Draper wrote:
>i've just done a channel rescan and it's wiped my user-set channel numbers.
>i doubt i can get them back so im going to have to re-set them, but
>im wondering if there is a better way todo it so i wont have
>re-assign channel number every time i rescan.
>
>the way mythtv detects the channels is in no logical order, aswell
>as having a ton of blank or foreign channels i have no interest in
>watching..

Where are you, what service(s) are you using ? It makes a big difference.

I'll copy and past from a posting I made on 6th April, in the thread
"UK: managing Freeview and Freesat" :
>There's a script I wrote at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script
>
>There is a link from there to
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments which does
>something similar-but-different
>
>And while looking for those, I came across
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sorting_by_Script which goes
>about things in a different way.

One of these should offer you a starting point which you can edit to
your requirements. My script was written for UK Freeview.

If scanning a service that provides channel numbers/callsigns (like
UK Freeview), then the channel numbers will be those used by the
broadcaster(s) - and yes, as you say for UK Freeview they are in what
can best be described as a non-intuitive sequence ! I have no idea
how Myth works on a service where such data isn't available (such as
capturing analogue output from a cable STB).

--
Simon Hobson