[mythtv-users] 0.24-fixes mythvideo - Will Internal Play *.avi or *.wmv?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:55:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/2011 13:27, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> I recently upgraded from 0.21 to 0.24-fixes.  I've noticed that *.avi
>> and *.wmv files are no longer played by mythvideo.
>
> If they played before, they should play now.  The only reason they would
> stop is if there was a regression in the libavformat libraries.
>
>> I also think that I have the win32codecs installed properly.  I'm using Gentoo and have media-libs/win32codecs installed which should be that's all that's needed.
>
> MythTV does not have the ability to load external codecs.
>
>> Can I play them with the internal player?  Or do I have to load
>> something else like xine, mplayer, or vlc and then set up the approriate
>> command line.
>
> Only the internal player is supported for use with MythVideo and Storage
> Groups.

Forgive me getting a little off track, as I don't mean to hijack the
original topic...but as someone who hasn't upgraded from 0.23-1 as yet
I wanted to be clear on this:

0.24-fixes doesn't mandate using storage groups in mythvideo does it?
I understand that change is coming, but I understood that wasn't part
of 0.24 as yet.

As to the original topic, I can verify that in 0.23-1 the internal
player handles every avi and mkv I throw at it.  Haven't tried any
wmv files in the internal player.

Tom