[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect timing out during Mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 17 19:42:03 UTC 2011

On 04/17/2011 09:43 AM, DeKay wrote:
>> Again, use tv_grab_na_dd --dd-data .  Any other approach is going to
>> require a lot more learning about how data download works, and is likely
>> to give misleading results due to inappropriate testing.
> Further investigation shows that my earlier assumptions were all
> wrong.  The database insertions ARE happening in the middle of
> download.  The insertions are slow compared to the gzipped download so
> the download ends up pausing.  Things time out once the insertions
> catch up and the download tries to resume again.
>
> This raises the question as to why the insertions are so slow in the
> first place.  I'm suspecting it is ext4 journaling and a known bug in
> my current kernel.  I'd like to upgrade but, of course, I have a
> conflict with the nvidia drivers right now and can't.
>
> So I think I'll go down the xmltv road.  If there is a  good writeup
> describing how to set this up, I'd appreciate a pointer to it.  I've
> looked in the xmltv and myth wikis and haven't found anything that
> ties the two together really well.
>
> Thanks for all the help so far with a very frustrating problem.

I meant to use XMLTV to test the download, not as a replacement for
mythfilldatabase's downloading.

Again, please try:

mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all

and read the posts I linked about it, earlier--since it will likely fix
any problem you may have due to drive seeking/swap thrashing/... that's
causing problems when mysql and mythfilldatabase are both trying to hit
the disk.  And, more importantly, you'll have better, more-current
listings data every day if you set up your system to use it.

Getting your database working properly is much better than sweeping the
problem under the rug by using XMLTV to download the data and then
hoping mythfilldatabase will be able to insert it without problems (when
it was having problems before).

If you are having database issues, you may want to try:

wget mysqltuner.pl

then run the script to see if there are any things you can change to
improve its performance.

Mike