[mythtv-users] LIRC and MythBuntu 10.10

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Apr 15 16:02:05 UTC 2011

On 11-04-15 11:55 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-04-15 11:49 AM, mlists wrote:
>> On 04/15/2011 11:24 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
>>> On 11-04-15 07:28 AM, Greg Hormann wrote:
>>> ..
>>> I didn't break it, but I can fix it.
>>>
>>> Grab this tarball, unpack it, and use "make clean install".
>>> Then reboot.  Presto, working lirc_serial blaster.
>>>
>>>       http://rtr.ca/lirc_serial_fixed.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Mind you, it only works as well as the code therein.
>>> I find it to be rather spotty when run on a busy mythtv system.
>>> Sometimes it works, sometimes it only partially works,
>>> depending upon how busy the rest of the system is.
>>>
>>> Someday I really ought to write a proper implementation for this thing,
>>> except I don't actually need/use it myself.
>>>
>> I just tried this because I can't get the lirc module to see my
>> available serial port.  Everything was working fine until I upgraded to
>> 2.6.38.  I also use the v4l git (media_build).   I get this error:
>> [   24.867152] lirc_serial: disagrees about version of symbol
>> lirc_register_driver
>> [   24.867159] lirc_serial: Unknown symbol lirc_register_driver (err -22)
>> [   24.873145] lirc_serial: disagrees about version of symbol
>> lirc_register_driver
>
> make clean ; make install ; reboot

Oh, I know what's going on..  the v4l snapshot installed its copy
of lirc_serial.ko in a different location from the default for ubuntu.
So your system is getting a bit confused there by all of that.

I can't help much with systems that replace the in-kernel drivers
with the v4l snapshots -- too many variables for me to guess and deal with.

So just remove the lirc_serial.ko file from the system:
   rm /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/staging/lirc/lirc_serial.ko
and then rebuild/reinstall your v4l snapshot drivers again.

* * *

The "always busy" serial port bug in v4l/lirc (dunno which) is also something
I remember seeing once.  I had to hack lirc source code to remove the offending
"O_EXCL" flag from something.

I don't use LIRC, lirc_serial, or the v4l sources here, so I can't help with those.