[mythtv-users] Record only shows which don't exist in the video database

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Apr 14 13:15:37 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Wow. Thats fantastic maybe it could be an example in the wiki and also
> a canned function in mythweb...

Ok, here is my example. Maybe somebody wants to write a wiki article. I don't have a login (yet).

I create all my rules in Mythweb. So I went into "Recording Schedules (..., Custom)". and then chose the following

Search Type: Power Search
Recording options:
Title: "Actors" or whatever you want
Additional tables: ", people, credits"
Search Phrase:
"people.name REGEXP '^Actor1$|^Actor2$'
AND credits.person = people.person
AND program.chanid = credits.chanid
AND program.starttime = credits.starttime
AND program.title NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT title FROM videometadata)"

(everything without the " quotes of course)

and save. As Michael added, depending on the size of your video database it can effect the performance of your backend. In my case it takes about 90 seconds to save the rule with about 3000 movies and old archived recordings on an "old" AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ processor while idle. It will take even longer when the backend is busy transcoding or encoding videos. I guess it will do the same every time mythfilldatabase runs. So you shouldn't create a lot of such rules...

A much simpler rule would be

Additional tables: (none)
Search Phrase:
"program.description REGEXP '^Actor1$|^Actor2$'
AND program.title NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT title FROM videometadata)"

which searches for the actors in the description only and uses far less resources.

HTH
Thomas