[mythtv-users] 720p display at 1360x768 with hdmi receiver? (slightly OT)

thigger thigger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:27:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM, GZ <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> My mythbox is driving a 720p TV at the panel's native resolution -
> 1360x768.  I'm considering putting an HDMI-capable audio receiver in
> the mix for HD-audio capabilities.  When I do this, will I have to
> start setting my X-server to display at a true 720p resolution?

 I looked into this fairly extensively when I got myself an HDMI audio
receiver recently. It looks like almost all receivers will only pass
HDMI signals with resolutions they recognise (normally 720p, 1080i/p,
and a few other common video resolutions). Sadly 1360x768 is almost
never passed. I'm using the Sony HTC-350 and have confirmed with Sony
(and by multiple experiments) that it won't pass 1360x768 (or
1366x768).

 On the plus side, the TVs are designed with 720p in mind so aren't
that bad at showing it. The change to 720p hasn't really been
noticeable for me except if I get too close when there's text being
displayed. However, next time I'll make sure the native resolution of
my set is a compatible HDTV resolution.

tom