[mythtv-users] OT: Cant select correct video mode on powerup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Apr 12 16:05:43 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 09:18 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Thanks, brilliant - just the hint I needed.
>
> BillK
>

> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:45 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 4/11/2011 19:42, William Kenworthy wrote:
>>> The Nvidia drivers ignore modelines in TV mode according to the docs
>>> (and my attempts to overide it) so how can I force the system to either
>>> startup in 1080[ip] or re-read the EDID when it senses a different mode
>>> available.
>>
>> You don't want to do either.  Capture a good EDID once, and then
>> configure the driver to replay it every time you start X.  See the
>> "CustomEDID" option...
>>
>> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-9629/README/appendix-d.html

It is faster to just use the EDID options provided:

You probably want to use
Option "UseEDID" "false"

which makes X ignore what the Edid handshake says.

 From Appendix B of the Nvidia README.txt (at /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0)

***************************************
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "boolean"

     This option controls whether the NVIDIA X driver will use the HorizSync
     and VertRefresh ranges given in a display device's EDID, if any. When
     UseEdidFreqs is set to True, EDID-provided range information will
override
     the HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges specified in the Monitor
section. If
     a display device does not provide an EDID, or the EDID does not
specify an
     hsync or vrefresh range, then the X server will default to the
HorizSync
     and VertRefresh ranges specified in the Monitor section of your X
config
     file. These frequency ranges are used when validating modes for your
     display device.

     Default: True (EDID frequencies will be used)

Option "UseEDID" "boolean"

     By default, the NVIDIA X driver makes use of a display device's
EDID, when
     available, during construction of its mode pool. The EDID is used as a
     source for possible modes, for valid frequency ranges, and for
collecting
     data on the physical dimensions of the display device for computing the
     DPI (see Appendix E). However, if you wish to disable the driver's
use of
     the EDID, you can set this option to False:

         Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"

     Note that, rather than globally disable all uses of the EDID, you can
     individually disable each particular use of the EDID; e.g.,

         Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
         Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
         Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"