[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 06:55:22 UTC 2011

Bobby Gill wrote:

>  Thanks! I think it will be one big array then, especially with that
>tidbit on 3 drives yielding 1 for RAID-6 :-|
>
>As for workload, my setup will be using Myth as a part of it,
>combined with playing various other video formats via XBMC, and also
>running as torrent server and some token other duties. For
>consideration, it will be playing directly to a receiver and on
>/very/ rare occasions, it will be playing to more than one place
>simultaneously. It's for myself in a HT/HTPC setup, that's it.

Don't forget that you don't have to do the same thing (ie one big
array) with the whole drive. You can partition the disks, and then
built arrays with the partitions (as mentioned before). So you could
have a small boot volume that's mirrored across all the drives, a
system volume that's RAID6 across all the drives, and separate
unraided drives for Myth storage. Just for example.

That's something Linux can do, that many (most ?) hardware raid
controllers don't support.

--
Simon Hobson