[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Apr 10 19:38:49 UTC 2011

    > Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:47:35 -0400
    > From: Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca>

    > That's a Marvell 7042 based board.
    > I wrote the in-kernel sata_mv.c libata driver for that chip (and its relatives),
    > and it is currently one of the more feature-full SATA controllers in Linux.

    > No power management, but it has everything else including ATAPI and port-multipler
    > support with FIS-based switching.

    > For proper operation, it really wants 2.5.35.3 or newer.
    > Support for SSD "TRIM" got added in 2.6.35.3.

    > The 2.6.34, 2.5.33, and 2.6.32 kernels should also work fine,
    > but without "TRIM" support.

Does this mean you wrote the driver for the AOC-SAT2-MV8
boards, using the SiiL 3114 chipset, as well?  Certainly
that board appears to be using that driver.

I'm curious about whether these boards are likely to easily
support the new 3 TB drives.  (This is for Linux in general
and probably 2.6.38 and other modern kernels in particular.)

I've seen precious little out there either way so far, except for
http://www.epartsandmore.com/product_info.php?cPath=76_95&products_id=2148,
which sure seems to imply that they're building this thing using
3TB drives hung off of one.