[mythtv-users] "Watch Recordings" slow - disable thumbnail/preview generation, or big SQL queries?

Niklas Brunlid prefect47 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 10:05:22 UTC 2011

On 4 April 2011 21:07, Niklas Brunlid <prefect47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 April 2011 20:10, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/04/2011 12:42 PM, Niklas Brunlid wrote:
>> > System specs: Fedora 13 on an Asus K8V with an AMD64 3000+ and a Sparkle
>> > GeForce 9400 GT PCI card, with OpenGL painter and VDPAU output, using
>> > DVI->HDMI to a FullHD LCD TV and the SP/DIF of the mainboard directly to
>> the
>> > amplifier.
>>
>> Just as a test, could you drop your display resolution to 640x480, or
>> try with an AGP video card?  Considering your system has an old Socket
>> 754 board, chances are all of your peripherals, including disk
>> controller, are slaved off the PCI bus.  With a video card running at
>> that resolution on the same bus, my guess is that you've saturated it,
>> preventing MySQL from accessing the database on disk.
>>

> Good point... I may be demanding too much out of an old system. I'll test
> lowering the resolution this weekend.

Tested and verified, running mythfrontend in a lower resolution makes it
noticeably quicker. However, it was quicker even if the screen resolution
was still at 1920x1080, but I assume it's the amount of bitmap data going
over the bus that's the problem.

What's the status of VDPAU-capable cards on AGP/PCI-X nowadays? I bought
this one specifically because there was no AGP VDPAU cards, and because it
fits in an old PCI (not express) slot.