[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Apr 10 04:33:38 UTC 2011

> > Dunno about "JBOD", but RocketRAID cards also have "legacy" mode,
> > where you DO NOT EVER configure your drive using the onboard BIOS.
>
> Which require you to format the hard drive while it's connected to a
> traditional SATA adapter. Not very convenient.
>
> You can't set a drive as "legacy" once connected to a RocketRAID card.

Though I'm off the intention completely as it is, it seems like the RR cards
are a bit scary with these rather unknown caveats. Still wondering if this
issue with the RR cards also applies to any other SATA cards (like the
Rosewill RC-218/211 being discussed) or just certain RAID cards, if at all?

Thanks
Bobby