[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Didn't Survive Upgrade

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Apr 10 00:55:37 UTC 2011

On 4/9/2011 5:11 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 06:48 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> I finally took the time to upgrade from 0.21 to 0.24.  Most seems OK but
>> the main problem I'm trying to overcome is getting my PVR-250 card
>> recognized.  As I recall from 0.21, when things were OK, I would see a
>> choice in mythtv-setup ->   capture cards along the lines of PVR-x50 and
>> then select the /v4l/video0 device.  My choices now are MPEG, DVB DTV
>> Capture Card, HDHomeRun DTV Tunerbox, Network Recorder, and the test
>> recorders.  Only the MPEG makes sense to me for a PVR-250 so I tried
>> that and set the device to /dev/v4l/video0.  However the status screen
>> in mythfrontend shows this tuner as "error".
>>
>> I've looked through dmesg output and poked around in /dev.  I'm fairly
>> certain that the device was recognized and configured by udev.
>>
>> What should I do next?
> Do the capture card (not video sources) portion of
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .  The
> card type you want is "IVTV MPEG-2 encoder card".

Thank you for your reply but it didn't work for me.  In addition to the
PVR-250, I have a pcHDTV3000 card in the backend and a HDHomerun on the
network.  My settings for the pcHDTV3000 and HDHomerun were fine and
those tuners could record OK.  I still have those choices available for
creating capture cards but not the "IVTV MPEG-2 encoder card" you
mention.  Thus it makes me think I have a kernel config or driver issue
and not a database issue.

In the past, it seemed that between the docs at mythtv.org and "Jerrod's
Guide", I could find easy to follow instructions.  But Jerod's Guide is
mostly broken links and the mythtv.org docs do not seem current.  I've
come across the mythtv wiki but don't find much about "how to".  I'm
running mythtv on Gentoo on one combo front/back end box.  Are there
some good "how to" links?  Especially ones regarding setting up a
PVR-250 and verifying both the kernel and mythtv can see it?

Thanks,

Drew