[mythtv-users] VLC stuck at first frame (creating fanart, in Mythtv)

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 8 17:55:05 UTC 2011

On 4/7/2011 9:00 PM, Ian Evans<dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Michael T. Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>> >  What type of recording? ?(Source, capture device used, was it
>> >  transcoded, if so, lossy or lossless, ... ?)
> Captured off an HDHomerun, no transcoding.
>
> It's only happening to the recordings from one station (CTV in
> Toronto) which has the exact same out-of-the-box setting that the
> other stations are using and I have no problems with them in VLC.
>
> If it's any help, CTV has been having problems with their PSIP data.
> Don't know if that would affect VLC or not.

I have also had problems playing HDHR MPEG2 recordings using VLC or
mplayer.  Some work, and some do not.  It seems to follow certain
channels.  If I do a lossless transcode, then they all play correctly.
I suspect it has something to do with the MPEG-TS vs MPEG-PS header
information that Myth puts in the recording file.

I posted about this issue a few months back, but got no resolution.

For thumbnails, I use a script like:

#!/bin/sh
if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then
         NAME=`basename $1`
         ffmpeg -y -i $1 -vframes 1 -ss 00:00:10 -an -vcodec png -f
rawvideo -s 320x240 $NAME.png
fi

or I sometimes use scrot to do a screen capture.

Jay