[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 16:29:06 UTC 2011

John Drescher wrote:

>  >> The problem is that you are using the same spindle for your OS (and
>>>  presumably your DB) and recordings.  That configuration can cause
>>>  performance issues.
>>
>>  I agree that with only one spindle this can be an issue. But with 8? ;)
>
>With 8 drives and modern hardware you should have plenty of
>bandwidth to spare.

Raw bandwidth isn't the issue - even a single drive can sustain a
transfer rate in excess of (I'd think) pretty well anyone's Myth
needs.

The problem is that RAID does not eliminate the requirement to seek
back and forth. So you are recording a stream or two to the
recordings storage area, and then do a DB update. It matters not
whether you are running a RAID array or a single disk - the disk or
disks will have to seek to the DB storage area and then seek back to
the recordings storage area, repeatedly. The difference is that with
RAID, you have a group of disks all seeking back and forth vs only
one drive doing it.

If you have plenty or RAM and buffer writes then you probably needn't
lose any data from your recordings*, but playback would stutter.

* Did I read somewhere that Myth syncs data as it writes, so doesn't
make effective use of OS level write caching ? Or am I just imagining
things ? (say) a gig of RAM would make seek performance of the drives
pretty well moot for writes.
--
Simon Hobson