[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:04:18 UTC 2011

>> Some people hate downtime even when the OS-disk fails,
>> most choose to solve that by using a raid1 volume as boot.
>> It makes failure a bit les destructive...

>Ahh, RAID-1 sounds a rather good idea for the OS. I could
> make use of some 320GB's lying around.

Just FYI, Linux mdadm software will RAID partitions just as well as disks
(which I have done myself with success on more than one machine). For
example, you could make a small OS partition and large recordings partition
on each of your 2TB drives. Then you can RAID-1 the OS partitions and RAID-6
the recordings partitions. With 8 disks, you'd have a LOT of redundancy for
the OS :) but this doesn't seem any more silly than cramming another two OS
drives into a machine that already has a bunch of others generating heat and
noise and sucking power.

And as long as you set up your bootloader on every drive, you can boot from
any of the drives -- so even if all but one of your disks fail, you can
still boot the OS partition.
___
 /yler