[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Apr 7 08:48:49 UTC 2011

On Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 09:28:20AM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Bobby Gill wrote:
> >Going to be setting up a server soon, am pretty settled on RAID5
> >linux software RAID. I currently have an ASUS P5K-E mobo that has 6
> >SATA slots + 2 eSATA slots. I would be using 1 drive for my Arch OS,
> >so that leaves 7 available slots for my array.
> >
> >My question is, what if I would wish to have a 8/10/12 drive array
> >either right off the bat or in the future? Would getting one of
> >these work:
> >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16-101-358
> >

> OK, I think there is some confusion there.
>
> The Supermicro card you link to is a SAS RAID card - and using it's
> inbuilt RAID controller will only do the drives connected directly to
> it. It's overkill because if you are doing software RAID then you
> won't be using any of the on-card facilities.

True, but you don't seem to be able to get plain SATA controllers with
more than 4 ports (and most have just 2), so I can see the appeal of
these.

> For large storage, you may find this article an interesting read :
> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/
>
> I suspect some of the comments about choice of host adapters are out
> of date, but it does give you an insight into some of the issues
> involved.

If you just want bulk storage, then that's a very good solution. The
performance will not be great though - 16 drives on a 1x PCI-e slot,
where 2 will saturate the bandwidth. Of course, for a household mythtv
setup then this should be no issue (though you'd need to give some
thought as to how the drives are allocated to arrays).

Cheers,
    Robin

--
     ___