[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Modify mythweb flash streaming for an in progress recording (Formula 1)

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:17:31 UTC 2011

On 6 April 2011 03:32, Rob Smith <kormoc at mythtv.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
>> I think there's already a program that does something similar to that,
>> something that keeps outputting the 'tail' end of a file as it grows. :)
>>
>> David, give "tail -f" a try instead of "cat", something like this:
>>
>> tail -f /path/to/some/in/progress/recording.mpg | ffmpeg -the -right -options
>
> Sadly tail won't stop when the recording is actually done. it'll sit
> there blocking and ffmpeg will sit there awaiting input.

It's a bit hacky, but you could symlink tail to something nice an
unique, then use the recording finished event or a user job to pkill
your nice unique proces name, eg:-

ian at pvr:~$ ln -s /usr/bin/tail niceandunique
ian at pvr:~$ ./niceandunique -f /dev/random > /dev/null &
[1] 14656
ian at pvr:~$ pkill niceandunique
[1]+  Terminated              ./niceandunique -f /dev/random > /dev/null
ian at pvr:~$

As I said, hacky, but it may work?

Ian