[mythtv-users] Hardware Purchase

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Apr 6 13:20:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 10:35:36AM -0400, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> >> If you want OTA, then the HDHomeRun is one of the poorest tuners out there
> >> for sensitivity of weaker stations.  Even the HVR-1600 beats it by a fair margin.
> >
> > Most people find the exact opposite of this to be true.  A quick
> > search of the archive will show you a bunch of instances where people
> > were able to pick up far more channels from the same feed with the
> > HDHR, most likely due to its RF isolation (ie, it's not in the case).
> > YMMV.
>
> That's a dangerous area of speculation you are entering.  The reality
> is that measuring RF reception performance is far more complicated
> than "weak" versus "strong".  Different tuners will behave with
> differing levels of performance dependent on a variety of signal
> conditions.  For example, some tuners may perform better with weak
> signals but behave worse if there are multipath conditions.
>
> There is also driver quality to consider.  One value of a network
> based tuner is that you are not at the mercy of the developer who

   From my own perspective, the greatest advantage of the HDHR is the
fact that it can be easily located as close to the antenna as possible
without making it or the PC it is attached to more difficult to manage.
It makes it easier to better position the antenna and capture it's
signal immediately before more signal is lost to a long cable run.

   In my own experience, it actually has the better tuners. Of course I
haven't tried everything...

[deletia]