[mythtv-users] HDPVR, lirc-zilog and me

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Sat Apr 2 22:29:42 UTC 2011

I've spent the past 3 days reading about how to set up the ir blaster on
the HDPVR, and after a bunch of reading, trial and error, and
frustration, I got it going.

Since there is a lot of conflicting information out there (due mostly to
things having just gone through a big change) I thought I'd post up here
what I did to get things working.

1) Upgraded my kernel to 2.6.38
2) included the the following kernel drivers:
   a) Multimedia/Video for Linux
   b) Multimedia/video capture adapters/V4L USB Devices/Hauppauge HDPVR
   c) Staging Drivers/Linux Infrared(...)/Zilog Hauppauge IR Transmitter
3) rebooted in my new kernel
4) installed lirc 0.9_pre1 (it's what I had an ebuild for, but is the
bare minimum required, <0.9 won't work with the new kernel drivers)
5) got the firmware from http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24
(really followed step 6-14, though 14 is still pending)

6) did a happy dance.

For future internet historians, I used code set 130 for my Motorola
VIP1200 box

A couple of gotchas that cost me a lot of time and caused headaches -
I started out with 2.6.36, but the IR part would not register itself, so
I went to 2.6.38, and everything worked right away.
Also, my channels did not appear to have the freqid column filled in, so
I manually did "update channel set freqid = channum where 1=1"

Greg