[mythtv-users] multi-seat linux & mythtv

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Apr 2 16:36:42 UTC 2011

On 4/2/2011 12:02, Richard Morton wrote:
>> In order to properly handle focus and input, you will need to run two
>> separate X servers.  This cannot be accomplished on a single graphics
>> card.  You will need to use two videos cards, one for each display.  If
>> you do not have a board with multiple PCIe x16 slots, stop now.  If you
>> have to buy a new board and second video card, then just buy a second
>> system.
> I understand what you are saying but I have found reports of people
> getting it working, like this one:
> http://netpatia.blogspot.com/2009/06/multiseat-in-ubuntu-904.html

Xephyr is a nested X solution that sort of gets around the dedicated
video card issue.  You have one top level X server which actually
accesses the video card in dual-head mode, and then you have multiple
nested servers running full screen on one of the windows, each with
their own inputs.  Note that this will NOT work for Xv or VDPAU, as both
of these schemes only allow a single playback at a time.  You will hit
the resource issues you mentioned initially.  You MAY be able to get
opengl playback working, but I've always heard that such is extremely
buggy with nested X servers.

>>   If the devices show up as separate inputs, you can use the independent
>> 'keyboards' for each X server.  If they only show up as a single input,
>> then this will not work.
> $ more /proc/bus/input/devices
>

> I: Bus=0005 Vendor=054c Product=0306 Version=0000
> N: Name="PS3 Remote Controller"
> P: Phys=
> S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input7
> U: Uniq=
> H: Handlers=kbd event7
> B: EV=3
> B: KEY=80000000 0 300000 0 0 0 21000000 0 0 0 0 0 bfc0 80001c f01c0000 d29a1ffe
>

> I dont understand the output however as I cannot find that dev file.

It should appear as /dev/input/event7.