[mythtv-users] multi-seat linux & mythtv

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:02:11 UTC 2011

> In order to properly handle focus and input, you will need to run two
> separate X servers.  This cannot be accomplished on a single graphics
> card.  You will need to use two videos cards, one for each display.  If
> you do not have a board with multiple PCIe x16 slots, stop now.  If you
> have to buy a new board and second video card, then just buy a second
> system.

I understand what you are saying but I have found reports of people
getting it working, like this one:
http://netpatia.blogspot.com/2009/06/multiseat-in-ubuntu-904.html

>> both are independently to be controlled via a combination of PS3
>> bluetooth remotes (currenlty using the uinput module -
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote#uinput_kernel_module_method)
>> and network control ( i saw that each frontend will need to have its
>> network control port changed)
>
> The method described there maps each remote as a keyboard input, and
> have nothing to do with the network control port or LIRC.

I want to use the network control port of each as well for mythdroid
or similar; but yes it is off topic and spurious.

> If the
> devices show up as separate inputs, you can use the independent
> 'keyboards' for each X server.  If they only show up as a single input,
> then this will not work.

$ more /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0005 Vendor=054c Product=0306 Version=0000
N: Name="PS3 Remote Controller"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input7
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event7
B: EV=3
B: KEY=80000000 0 300000 0 0 0 21000000 0 0 0 0 0 bfc0 80001c f01c0000 d29a1ffe

I dont understand the output however as I cannot find that dev file.