[mythtv-users] Storage group extra disk space clarification

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Apr 2 05:12:36 UTC 2011

Just thought I'd update this thread in case others want to know.

On 3/30/2011 1:09 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM, faginbagin<mythtv at hbuus.com>  wrote:
>> I'd like to clarify the definition of the "Extra Disk Space" configuration option in mythfrontend Setup - TV Settings - General (AutoExpire) page on 0.23.1. The help text says:
>> Extra disk space (in Gigabytes) that you want to keep free on the recording file systems beyond what MythTV requires.
>>
>> Maybe that should be 100% clear, but given the nature of the English language and the games played by HD manufacturers, I'm confused. Here are my questions:
>>
>> 1) Is a Gigabyte = 1000*1000*1000 bytes (according to HD manufacturers) or 1024*1024*1024 bytes (aka a GiB)?
>>
>> 2) Is the extra free space per file system or per storage group? IOW, if I've got two file systems defined for my default storage group and I'd like to make sure at least one of those file systems has 40 gigabytes free, should I set this value to 40 or to 80?
>
> My understanding is that it is per disk.

I decided to read the source code since no one responded to my first question and since Thomas didn't sound 100% sure w.r.t the second question. Thomas, I do appreciate the time you took to respond. What I found is:

1) A Gigabyte is 1024*1024*1024 bytes (aka a GiB).

2) It is per file system, not quite the same as per disk, since a disk can have multiple file systems.

HTH,
Helen