[mythtv-users] everyday i have to make sure myth worked the day before

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Apr 1 20:17:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 07:40:13AM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-04-01 07:01 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> >
> > And sadly, every few days I have to go report to my wife when something
> > that was supposed to record didn't, for no fault of our own, but due to
> > mythbackend locking up and/or having to be restarted so that a frontend
> > can communicate with it, etc.
>
> When I first set up Mythtv (0.18, I think, years ago), the back-end would
> mysteriously die from time to time, resulting in missed recordings.
>
> I don't know if it still does that today (0.24), because I added a "nanny"
> task to babysit the back-end, and restart it whenever it dies abnormally
> (but not for SIGTERM or SIGQUIT, system shutdown).

    I have such a keep-alive script too. Although I don't ever recall backend
failures being bad enough that I would entirely miss a recording. Although
these days I have multiple tuners so both would have to be offline in order
for MythTV to miss some key show. That's also assuming that it were an old
school network show where they only show it once in a week.

    Cable shows are much less of a problem in that respect. Also makes it
easier to avoid conflicts.

[deletia]