[mythtv-users] Multiple frontends on the same machine

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Apr 1 17:26:14 UTC 2011

On 11-04-01 12:15 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> The point is that the chosen audio and video device are tied into the
> machine profile in the database.

Right.

> If they are running two independent
> frontends on the same machine, they must be using two completely
> independent machine profiles.

Understood.

> Thus there is no possibility for the two
> frontends to be sharing the same configuration.

Right.  I assume this is in response to my remark about sharing a sound
device with more than 1 pair of outputs.  I was pressuming that the use
of multiple pairs in an audio device was being done through some kind of
virtual access to the hardware that presented as separate devices.

I have a faint recollection of somebody cooking up a solution for doing
this but I cannot find anything about it now.  Of course it would
involve having to mix two "virtual" inputs into the card to get it to work.

Maybe this is what I had read before:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc#Splitting_front_and_rear_outputs

b.