[mythtv-users] HELP! In antenna hell!

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Thu Sep 30 19:40:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:38:56PM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Hmm... I wonder how you would connect two of these together, if, for
> instance I wanted to make two custom folded dipole antennas. One for
> channel 5 and one for channel 13. The antenna I purchased seems to be
> a regular dipole antenna (not folded) and it flips the connections
> between each pair of elements. I wonder if the same approach would
> work for the folded version.

Most modern VHF or VHF-UHF (and some UHF only) antennas are log periodic
dipole arrays.  Not too difficult to build and can cover large frequency
spans with few elements.  The trade off is antenna gain and directivity.

Alternating sides connected to the elements is a standard feature of
these antennas.  Doing the same with a pair of folded dipoles would
not produce the same results.

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?