[mythtv-users] VGA verses HDMI

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 16:59:49 UTC 2010

Wade Maxfield wrote:

>I can't personally confirm this, but Dan Benjamin (from 5by5 TV)
>said that on Samsung TVs if you connect your PC to the first HDMI
>port and name the port PC, it should disable overscan.

I have an LE26B350 (26" LCD) and one of the ports is labelled
HDMI1/DVI I connected a computer to it (Scaleo E media centre) and it
automatically detected it as a computer (dunno how) and offered
"computer" formats - so I run it at 1360x768x60Hz. It doesn't offer
any "tv" formats/frame rates.
I don't recall having to make any settings to get the analogue audio
input to work with it either.

Since I don't own any other HDMI devises, I can't comment on what
happens if you plug one of those in.

The only problem I see with running at 60 Hz is on panning/tracking
shots with strong verticals in the frame. I assume it's related to
the disparity between source and display frame rates (we use 50
fields/s, 25 frames/s here), but I get a horizontal discontinuity
where there is a join between different frames - eg if there is a
vertical line, it is broken part way down the screen and the two bits
aren't in line. The join moves down the screen over a period of
several seconds.

--
Simon Hobson