[mythtv-users] VGA verses HDMI

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Sep 30 12:14:07 UTC 2010

Jim Morton wrote:

On 9/30/2010 7:32 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> I recently got a new TV which has extra HDMI ports, is there any
> advantage in running HDMI over VGA, other then the possibility of
> audio over HDMI depending on my video card (Gigabyte GT240) which
> isn't really an issue as the tv has a seperate audio port for the VGA
> input...
>
> It would be nice to see the thoughts of the list on this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

Just my experience, with my setup -
When my myth box is connected to a tv HDMI port there is an overscan
resulting in loss of some of the picture edges. It is most noticable
when there is a crawler. When connected via the VGA port there is no
overscan at all. I'm pretty certain it is the Samsung TV that is making
this decision based on it being a tv or a pc monitor. I cannot tell any
difference in quality. Most recordings are HD at 1080i and using VDPAU.
Currently I have it connected via the VGA port but have had it the other
way in the past.

  Jim Morton

The difference between VGA and HDMI is probably quite small. I think 1:1 pixel mapping is far more important for the picture quality.

At least European versions of Samsung TVs have a menu choice that turns off overscan.
It is perhaps not obvious how to do this but on the TVs I have experience with it is found under Setup->Picture->Picture format then choose "Just scan".

Jens