[mythtv-users] Encoder disappears

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Wed Sep 29 11:56:58 UTC 2010

  Op 29-9-2010 11:14, barbex schreef:
>> 2010-09-23 11:00:32.304 Channel(/dev/video1)::Open(): Can't open video
>> device, error "Permission denied"
>> That must be the moment where mythtv realizes
>> that the Encoder has "walked away"! Have to check if anything happens
>> right before that timestamp.
> So, it happened again and I looked at dmesg, messages and syslog - and
> there is nothing! The card is registered, gets assigned video1 and
> loads the firmware, no errors, no warnings.
> Anywhere else I should look?
>
> Is it possible that the tuner is just too slow to answer right after
> boot? Can I make Mythtv wait a bit?

Err, does it happen only right after boot? I had problems in the past
with the backend starting before hardware was fully loaded and then had
to bump the backend to the back of the line. But I haven't seen that in
recent years.
When it happens can you use cat /dev/vidoe1 >
/somewhere/to/store/test.mpg? prefferably as the same user as the backend?

There's no other program using the tuner? If that's first before myth
get's there, it gets locked.

Good luck,

Jos