[mythtv-users] lirc_zilog troubles with WinTV-Go (similar to PVR-150)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 29 04:16:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Christian Monkman
<c.b.monkman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, everyone.
>
> A few days ago I upgraded a MythTV installation that installed by
> using the MythTV packages on top of Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). It served
> me well for a couple of years but the software was beginning to show
> its age. I decided to upgrade releases to Mythbuntu 10.04 using a USB
> boot stick. I performed a clean install, saying goodbye to a couple of
> dozen episodes of The Simpsons I'd never gotten around to watching. ;)
>
> The main hardware doing the essential job of capturing TV, changing
> channels on a STB and listening to the bundled remote
> (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/hauppauge/PVR-350.jpg) is an old
> Hauppauge WinTV-Go-plus-or-something. It has a combination IR receiver
> and blaster which worked very well under Ubuntu 8.10 once I'd followed
> the excellent write ups on Mark's Braindump blog
> (http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24), which means the IR
> blaster worked using Mark's lirc_pvr150 module and
> haup-ir-blaster.bin. Google led me to the discovery that lirc_pvr150
> has been replaced with lirc_zilog. Hoping that my non-pvr150 that used
> to act like a pvr150 would be brought to life again, I followed these
> instructions on Bob's Notepad
> (http://notepad.bobkmertz.com/2010/06/pvr-150-ir-blaster-on-mythbuntu-1004.html),
> and the patch and compile complete successfully, but I have had no
> luck getting the lirc_zilog module to detect my RX and TX devices and
> load the firmware.
>
> The haup-ir-blaster.bin file from Mark's page is stored in /lib/firmware/
>
> here's lspci -nn after bootup:
> 03:06.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Brooktree Corporation
> Bt878 Video Capture [109e:036e] (rev 11)
> 03:06.1 Multimedia controller [0480]: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
> Audio Capture [109e:0878] (rev 11)
> what the lirc_zilog module seems to be aimed most at serving, but my
> cheap WinTV-Go used to work *great* with the pvr150 module and
> firmware.

Whoa. That's the first time I've ever seen even a hint that there was
a bttv-driven card with a zilog chip. Pretty sure the bttv driver
doesn't export the necessary (since c. 2.6.31) i2c information for
lirc_zilog to bind to your card though.

> Am I just dreaming by hoping to get this IR setup working
> under Mythbuntu 10.04?

No. But it will require some work. Namely, hacking on your capture
card's device drivers.

> Should I go looking for a newer capture card
> and IR bundle? Any suggestions easily obtained in Canada?

Well, $30USD for an mceusb transceiver is probably a lot less work
than figuring out what kernel-level driver changes to make to get
lirc_zilog talking to your current card...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com