[mythtv-users] Whole "watch recordings" section empty but recording rules still in place and working

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Sep 29 01:53:53 UTC 2010

On 09/28/2010 03:33 PM, OLO wrote:
> Hi All,
> got mythbuntu FE/BE combined on a single machine, all was perfectly working
> fine till about 3 weeks ago.

> Couldnt log in to mysql so managed to set root password and now it lets me
> in only as root, -umyhttv doesnt seems to work, which i would thought might
> be a problem but checked all mysql.txt and all seems to have same settings
> (passwords) and the frontend does show some of DB (like upcoming recordings
> etc.) Live TV also works fine. All recordings are physically on my hdd as
> thats the only way to watch them now.
>
> Any more ideas what it might be?

This sounds like it is purely a mysql problem.

It is "mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg"  you need one space before
the username, and NO space before the password.

I presume you have run 'optimize_mythdb.pl' and that the tables have
been found to be good.
In which case it is an access issue.

FIRST.
Run 'dh -h' and make sure that your /var partition is not full. If /var
is in the '/' partition, when things fill up, the box crashes. If /var
is on its own partition, mysql stops working, but myth (and the OS)
don't seem to crash... but it stops working properly!. (A good reason to
have your mysql databases NOT in the /var partition).

SECOND.
Since you can get to mysql console as root, then run:

mysql> use mysql;
mysql> select host,user,password from user;

You should see something like:
+-------------------+--------+------------------+
| host              | user   | password         |
+-------------------+--------+------------------+
| localhost         | root   | 1b3ab4920bfa6d2a |
| 192.168.1.81      | root   | 1b3ab4920bfa6d2a |
| localhost         | mythtv | 0476fc026afffe24 |
| 192.168.1.81      | mythtv | 0476fc026afffe24 |
+-------------------+--------+------------------+

Obviously the password is a hash.

If you don't see an entry for mythtv, then you need to re-run the mythtv
user set script mc.sql again, (or set up a 'mythtv' user in mysql from
the command line).

THIRD.
If those check out, then:
mysql> use mythconverg;
mysql> select distinct hostname,count(hostname) from settings;
+-------------------+-----------------+
| hostname          | count(hostname) |
+-------------------+-----------------+
| tor6.mandamus.org |             448 |
+-------------------+-----------------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

If you see '1 row in set', then you do NOT have a duplicate hostname.
One problem avoided.

FOURTH
mysql> select value,data from settings where value like "%ServerIP";
+-----------------+--------------+
| value           | data         |
+-----------------+--------------+
| MasterServerIP  | 192.168.1.81 |
| BackendServerIP | 192.168.1.81 |
+-----------------+--------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

On a BE/FE system, these should be the same, and there should NOT be
duplicate 'value' entries.
quit mysql
FIFTH

At the console:

# less /etc/hosts | grep tor6.mandamus.org

using the hostname listed in 'THIRD' above.
If all this checks out, from the mysql end then you must done the
incantation wrong!

              R. Geoffrey Newbury