[mythtv-users] Thoughts on the upcoming Boxee Box as a possible frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 28 15:28:05 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 09:08:59 am David Meixner wrote:

> Sorry if this is a litte off topic from the original post.  I'm running
> Boxee on my desktop, but this should be doable on the Boxee Box, and I
> can't imagine they would ship the thing without Netflix support.

Which of course means Windows and Silverlight. This means running a Linux-based Myth frontend on the Boxee box would kill
the Netflix capability.

I'm unsure of the status of a Windows Myth frontend, that might allow a truly integrated FE, but I would not consider it.

It is possible to get Netflix exported as a UPnP source using PlayON, but this also requires Windows, but you can run it on
an isolated machine, and not have to mix Myth and Windows except on the ethernet wire.

I was considering buying a Boxee box, but it doesn't look like it would give me anything I can't get with Myth and PlayON
now, except a strange-looking box in my LR.