[mythtv-users] Wake on lan for front end?

Michelle Dupuis mdupuis at ocg.ca
Tue Sep 28 13:59:50 UTC 2010

I've got a Shuttle XS35-804 up and running as a front end now.  I would like to be able to turn on the box from remote control.   I already have the remote part worked out, and another box can send the WOL magic packet when I press the right remote button.  But, I'm wondering if this is a good idea:

1. This hardware only supports WOL from S3 (suspend to ram) which would mean my FE runs 24/7.  Is this a bad idea?
2. Does the suspend/resume cycle accumulate memory/OS problems that a complete power off/on would avoid?
3. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks